HISTORY OF ST EDWARD’S
This Roman Catholic Church is dedicated to St. Edward and it was opened on St Edward’s Day, 13 October 1868, in the presence of Archbishop, later Cardinal Henry Edward Manning. The Church designed by Charles Alban Buckler.
It is constructed of Kentish ragstone in the Early English style with chancel, nave, aisles and chantry. The chapel features pictures by Murillo and Carlo Dolci, a reredos and a 14th century statue of the Virgin Mary. The windows are all stained glass. The Church will seat about 600 persons. St Edward’s Presbytery next door dates from 1883.
HISTORY OF ST MARK’S
As the increasing numbers of Catholics grew in the Dedworth area a Church needed to be built. Canon Timothy Dwyer who was the parish Priest at that time employed the Architects Alexander E Mathew and Frances E Allen.
The Church was opened and dedicated on the 12th October 1968 by Bishop Derek Warlock who was the Bishop at that time